In the spirit of New Year’s resolutions, we want to ask you, how are you maintaining your dog’s health? No matter if you have a new puppy or an older canine, keeping them healthy and mindfully happy is a must. Here are a few tips from our pet hospital near McAllen on how you can exercise your dog’s body and mind!
Reinvent Walking Your Dog
- Re-enhance your furry pal’s sensory play with long walks in areas with plenty for him/her to see, hear, smell, and taste.
- Change your daily walking route to let your furry loved one explore new areas.
- If at all possible, change the time of day you go walking to increase your dog’s curiosity. Or take him/her to a dog-friendly park to socialize with other dogs.
Prioritize Play Time
- Use his/her favorite toy for games and to learn new obedience behaviors.
- Upkeep your pet’s searching skills by simply hiding his/her favorite toy around the yard or house.
- Get creative and play hide-and-seek with your pet. Offer bits of their favorite treats as a reward for finding you, too!
- Training your dog may seem difficult, but this bonding experience will allow you both to understand each other more innately.
- Teach your furry friend new complex behaviors and draw his/her attention away from less desirable habits.
- Reshaping your dog’s thought process can also change other behaviors that he/she holds and helps them to stay observant and alert.
Are You Concerned About Your Pet’s Behavior?
Valley Animal Hospital offers different wellness programs and care to ensure your dog’s health. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have!