With chilly weather soon being upon us, it’s assumed our pets will be keeping warm inside the comfort of our homes. Like most pet owners, we tend to feel like we are being watched while at our dinner tables. Most of the time, it turns out to be our pets starring up at us as we enjoy our meals.

Before falling for the googly eyes and sharing some scraps with your pet, stop and think if what you’re sharing can be harmful. You’ll find out that the little snacks you’ve been giving out from time to time can possibly be harmful, leading to a trip to the vet.

If you’ve noticed your pet falling ill after eating certain foods, then make sure to book an appointment with us today!


We reward ourselves with a little chocolate every now and then, but think twice before sharing a piece with your furry companion. Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that may damage your pet’s lungs, kidneys and nervous system. Although humans have a much higher tolerance for this chemical, certain animals do not. Play it safe and avoid giving your furry loved one a taste of chocolate, no matter how much they beg.


Most of us associate milk with a cat’s preferred beverage, but in fact, the average adult cat is lactose intolerant. The sugar in dairy may be of value when raising a kitten, but once they have fully developed, milk can harm a cat’s digestive system. As adult cats cannot break down the sugars found in milk, it may lead to dehydration as well. Therefore, avoid dairy options and opt for water instead.

Bones and Fat

With the holidays around the corner, it’s likely you’ll have a turkey or ham on your dinner table soon. With so many leftovers, bones and scraps, it’s natural to assume that pets would like to have a taste. But be aware that bones and fat can lead to diarrhea and vomit in certain pets. Also, if a piece of bone is accidentally swallowed, it may result in intestinal tears or even choking.

Bones can also harm your pet’s teeth, resulting in them possibly becoming chipped or broken. Just like humans, dogs and cats need regular dental checkups. Although it’s natural to assume that pets need something to chew on for their gum’s health, there are many alternatives that you can find with the help of our vets in McAllen.


Large amounts of caffeine can be fatal for pets. Minor consumption can produce elevated blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, seizures and vomiting. Considering that the chemical theobromine is found in caffeine, it can, again, harm your pet’s lungs, kidneys and nervous system. 


The holidays are a time to come together with friends and family, and although we consider our pets to fall into one of these categories, it’s best to keep them in a safe place when hosting a party containing alcohol. Alcohol contains ethanol that can also be found in mouthwash, perfume, certain household cleaning products, cough syrups and other medications.

The effects of alcohol consumption in animals can lead to lack of coordination, drowsiness and vomiting. It may also attack your pet’s respiratory system and central nervous system. Alcohol is absorbed through the body pretty quickly, so when you take notice of any signs in your pet that they’ve consumed alcohol, get in touch with us as soon as possible.

Accidental Consumption Happens!

We try our best as pet owners to keep a watchful eye on our furry and feathered loved ones at all times. Although it isn’t always possible, we trust that they are keeping out of trouble when we aren’t around. Accidents happen often, but always know that our pet hospital in McAllen is ready to treat your pet!

Leave a Reply